Friday, August 17, 2007

You Tube Video Experience

This week the task of thing #20 is to explore You Tube and find a video worth adding to my blog. I was able to choose one without much difficulty because I enjoyed looking at all the old 1970's TV commercials I found there. They both entertained and brought back memories of bygone days for me.

I chose this one in particular (a Wisk Detergent Commercial) because it was nostalgic and I think it is a statement on the changing times. There was a time when most women stayed home and took care of the house and did not work outside the home.

In addition, this commercial was an indicator of just how much things have changed since the 1970's . Most women you see in commercials today do not have big puffy hairdos and a lot of makeup. They also do not wear pearls and crisply pressed clothing. They look more like women really look when they are at home. Their hair and clothes are not always so perfect looking.

Finding this commercial really provoked a lot of thought in my mind about women and the way things have changed in appearance and in women's roles. More women work outside the home now than in the 1970's and there are more choices for them in occupation, education, etc. I believe completing this program will give us as women even more choices in our future.

When it came time to add this video to my blog, I ran into a few snags, but after some searching around in You Tube that my co-worker Nancy and I did together, we finally got my video into my blog. It was a great feeling to be successful in this task. I am sure it would not have been possible for me without help from Nancy. She is a very kind and patient tutor.

What I liked about the site was the variety of videos to choose from, but what I would like to have seen was a step by step tutorial for placing my video into a blog. There have been a lot of tutorials in this program for the tasks that have been assigned and these made the tasks easier. So, it would have been great to see a tutorial on Youtube for those less skilled in this technology.

Library websites could use Youtube videos to display humorous things to the staff or other types of humorous things to patrons. A funny video could be used to promote entertainment and enjoyment in the library on a library website. It could be something that the age group that is the target of the video would enjoy. Videos can also be used to entertain the staff. A skit that was done by our staff at a recent training session (for a light moment in between training sessions) was posted on Youtube for the enjoyment of the staff.

Overall, I am encouraged by my successes in this program and learning from my failures. I am looking forward to completing the last task. I will definitely be able to say I learned a lot from this program.

No comments: