Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Images, Librarything and Rollyo

For our play week I created an Avatar that I thought was cute and fun to do. I have had some previous experience with Avatars at a recent training seminar entitled, "Serving the Future." During the seminar we were given an opportunity to explore some of the things young people like to do including making Avatars and using "Dance, Dance Revolution. Of all the things we tried, I enjoyed making Avatars the most.

However, without a doubt the thing I found most fun this week was using Librarything. It was fun to search for books that I have read and enjoyed and then write a review of them. Recommending books to patrons and staff is one of the most enjoyable parts of my job. To me sharing a good book is like sharing a good piece of chocolate cake with someone else, total pleasure!

What was not a total pleasure at first was trying to use the tags on the Librarything website. I had a little trouble with it, but once I mastered it I gained a tremendous sense of satisfaction at being able to solve the problem. I was able to put the word I wanted on the tag and then type the review and have the copy say what I wanted to say. I was very pleased with myself when I was finished. Tasks like these and the ones in week 4 have challenged me, but I am glad I am learning new skills.

I also enjoyed learning to use Rollyo. I think it is a helpful search tool. The contribution I made to Rollyo, and this will not be a surprise to any of my co-workers who know me, was to add some websites where you can buy good chocolate candy. I have always found whatever happens in life, things go better with chocolate.

No comments: