Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Del.icio.us, Technorati, and Web 2.0 Perspectives

To me, and several of my co-workers, according to their blogs, the word "delicious" conjurs up images of good food and not social bookmarking. However, upon exploration of the Del.icio.us and Technorati websites I found them to be pretty user friendly. It makes sense to have information on the same subject presented in an organized and easy to locate way.

I feel that these websites will be helpful the next time a patron comes in with a tough subject to find print material on and the librarian has to search the internet for information. With the use of Del.icio.us and Technorati the time could be reduced for the search results significantly. That would be truly "delicious" for patron and librarian alike.

The next area we explored this week was Web 2.0 perspectives of others. Some of the articles I found had too much technological jargon and were hard to understand. The best one I found was written by Dr. Wendy Schultz and is entitled, "To A Temporary Place In Time." In the article Dr. Schultz makes an excellent point in which she states, "Libraries are not merely in communities, they are communities." I believe we are a community both as library staff and users of the library just like our patrons. The efforts of our library system to offer the both the latest technology as well as help for those who are technology challenged is a good thing.

Dr. Schultz continues by borrowing from an analysts charting shift to show the progression of libraries in the future from commodity to product to service to experience. I found her ideas intriguing and her language usage interesting. I really enjoyed reading her article. It created images in my mind from my earliest library memories to my current experience of working in a library.

No comments: